4 part class meeting 1/06, 1/20, 2/3, 2/10, 2018
ONE NEEDLE, TWO SOCKS – TOE UP
Begin 2 socks at the same time – finish 2 socks at the same time!
Start knitting at the toes and never run out of yarn. Plus you can try on your socks as you knit.
Adult sizes, small and large
- Magic Loop
- Judy’s Magic Cast-On
- Lifted Increases
- German Short Rows
- Jeny’s Surprisingly Stretchy Bind-Off
supply list for class:
- book: Toe-Up 2-At-A-Time Socks by Melissa Morgan-Oaks
- at least 400 yds light color sock yarn; wound into 2 separate balls (NOT Malabrigo, Hedgehog, Copper Corgi, Life in the Long Grass-they’re too skinny to easily get gauge)
- 40” circular needle, size 1 or size to obtain Gauge: 8 sts and 11 rows = 1 inch
(HiyaHiya Sharps have great points and a good flexible cord for Magic Loop),
- Tiny crochet hook to match needle (2.5mm/2.75mm)
- stitch markers: locking and regular
- small coil-less safety pins; plus usual notions: scissors, bent tip tapestry needle, measuring tape
- 50 g worsted wt yarn for training socks (best to use light colors)or 25g of 2 different colors
- US 7 circular needle, 40 inch for training socks
Homework: Knit a swatch – in the round!!
Cast on 32 stitches, knit to end of row, DO NOT Turn, let yarn flow along back of knitting (similar to doing an I-cord),
then move knitted stitches to other end of needle.
You are imitating knitting in the round – so just knit each row, never turning.
Complete 30 rows of stockinette stitch, bind off but don’t cut yarn; soak swatch and let dry flat without stretching.
You don’t have to cut yarn, or pull out swatch, just start socks from other end of the ball.
(if you’re running out of yarn you can unravel it).
Class supplies must be purchased at BMYS.
Cancellations later than 48 hours prior to class are non-refundable.